The Plymouth Historical Museum is dedicated to preserving, teaching, and presenting history through inspiring exhibits, programs, and archival materials. The Plymouth Historical Society was organized in 1948 with 52 original members. By 1987, the membership had increased to 400, and, in 2009 the membership is about 625. The Plymouth Historical Museum opened its doors to the public on 14 February 1976, an addition was completed in 2001. The Museum is housed in a beautiful, 26, 000-square-foot building, donated to the Society by Miss Margaret Dunning in memory of her parents.