Windham Millwork was founded in Windham, Maine, by Walter Pulkkinen in 1957. The company focused heavily on the woodwork and cabinetry required in schools, hospitals, colleges and other institutional settings. During the 1960s it operated out of roughly 15,000 square feet of space, which it expanded by nearly 12,000 square feet in 1968. Around 1987, Windham added an additional 12,000 square feet to house its moulding and milling operations. In 1998 the company purchased two adjoining properties to house its laminating line and expand the raw material storage. Windham is housed in a 64,000-square-foot facility and was one of the first Architectural Woodwork Institute members to achieve premium grade certification for all the products and services it provides.