8935 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90069
No coupons available
11/02/2011Provided by Citysearch -
My girlfriend and I got to WeHo at 5pm to grab some dinner and enjoy the Halloween Carnival early. First stop Starbucks on the Corner(for her) and then I saw Umai Sushi, which I had never ate at prior and NEVER will again!!! We ordered Edamame, Two Rolls and 3 drinks for a whapping $98.81...included a hidden 18% gratuity that I've never seen on a table for two... we tipped a total of $10 on top by accident and I'm glad we didn't leave more. Now, based on that I'd never go back but UNFROTUNATELY Umai Susi had one last hidden surprise for me. When the sushi arrived I took one look and thought DANGER!! Fish looked Dry and Old but my girlfriend said for the prices it better be good; well it wasn't.
VERY BAD story short, 20-30 mins after eating I started getting lower GI issues, badly. Found a Porta Potty across from the DJ/Pavilions and spent the Next 60+ mins fighting terrible GI CRAMPS / DIARRHEA and VOMITING CHUNKS of Fish and Sushi Roll into the porta potty urinal that was so conveniently positioned for such an occasion. There are too many places to choose from in that area for food, so I advise to choose something other than Umai Sushi, unless you think my review is a hoax, and then by all means... Enjoy:)
P.S. Special Thanks to the Porta Potty Engineers for their special design that allowed me to Puke without having to stand, turn around and Vomit into the same hole that I (and a few others) had just Sh!T my colon into. Very Much Appreciated.
05/16/2008Provided by Citysearch -
i ordered a spider roll that had far too much rice on it. it was bland, greasy, and the service was slow even though we were one of 3 tables at the restaurant.
depressingly mediocre atmosphere. did not like this place at all. boring choices and bitter rolls...
04/20/2008Provided by Citysearch -
Okay. Was with my girlfriend. We ordered water twice. Got it the 2nd time, luckily. But the waitress didn't understand what we were asking. Got home. Both had to shoot bricks. It was like a gas contest on the way home in my new G35. So do not hesitate to read this it might save your life...
11/24/2007Provided by Citysearch -
Went to Umai Sushi in West Hollywood with a friend for a casual afternoon lunch. The food was good, nothing spectacular. The service was slow at times. The outdoor seating was nice. They jam the tables in there, however, so its not a great place for a private dinner during the busy times.
05/02/2007Provided by Citysearch -
Rolls are full of heavy sauces. The tako was still frozen when I bit into it. Just awful!! Terrible service. Waiteress are unable to comprehend basic English and are erratic. Restaurant has no air condition and is stuff with cheap constume jewerly. Try Jimpanchi or Ajisai around the corner.
12/07/2006Provided by Citysearch -
Let me do the QUICK rundown. regular weekday. dinner. EMPTY restaurant. there were two other tables besides us, party of 3.
1. there was a distinct horrible smell throughout dinner. (possibly fecal matter from the sidewalk - not their fault, i understand, but it was there and part of our dining experience nonetheless.)
2. the staff was entirely unfriendly and difficult to communicate with. english was not the first language (no biggie), but they never came us, we had to GET UP and go to them or flag them down.
3. we asked for the happy hour and were told it was too late. after we pointed out that it was only 7pm and not even 7:30 yet, they relented. this would be a common occurence all nite. us requesting something, them telling us no, then us correcting them, then them conceding. you have to be an expert of their menu and their rules to get what they are actually advertising.
4. it took us one hour and fifteen minutes to get our simple tuna cut rolls and the like. in that one hour and fifteen minutes, no one came to tell us anything, or to check on us, or to offer us more water.
5. we saw several patrons walk in, sit down, get ignored, and leave after 30 minutes. then they would go to the restaurant right next door.
6. the food was COMPLETELY mediocre and extremely OVERPRICED. i eat sushi at least 3 times a week, and ive had it all over the world, across the nation, etc. i know sushi. the soup was bland, the salad withered, the sushi rolls loose and falling apart. (im chinese. i know how to use chopsticks.)
7. none of the servers knew how to work the computer. we could not go dutch and had to pay with ONE credit card.
8. what was meant to be a fun dining experience completely ruined our moods for the entire evening and made a significant dent our wallets.
i will NEVER EVER patron this location again and will strongly recommend others against it. there are plenty other BETTER sushi restaurants on santa monica blvd.
09/05/2006Provided by Citysearch -
Went there today for the first time. Ordered some sushi and sashimi. The tuna was old and smelled spoiled. It was disgusting. In fact, I think I'm a little sick. The miso soup tasted like it was diluted w/ hot tap water. I had to stop eating after the spoiled tuna. Adding insult to injury, they only took 15% off the total bill. I should have known the B rating was telling. They blamed the spoiled tuna on the holiday weekend. What, they couldn't go to the fish market on Tuesday morning.
Bluah, I'm sick. Never going there again.
08/28/2006Provided by Citysearch -
The ezime roll is killer, but I will think twice the next time, they got a B. The restauant was completely empty. The service was erratic. I had about 4 different servers, 2 that didn't speak English nor knew the menu. One could only wonder why I happen to be their only customer. Try Ajisai or Wa sushi down the street.
07/03/2006Provided by Citysearch -
Umai has fantastic sushi and a great soju cocktail menu but it's a little too expensive for the neighborhood. They'd probably be busier if the prices were lower. Everything else is fantastic- the food is good, the sushi chefs are very talented and creative, and the service is good, attentive but not pushy. I like this place a lot.