Weslaco Public Library The Library was established in 1948, as part of the Civic Center Complex on Kansas Avenue. Originally, it was run by community volunteers. Mrs. Pearl C. Doss provided a seed grant for the library's collection of $8, 000.00 in memory of her late husband, Porter Phelan Doss, an active local businessman and civic leader. In 1966, the City of Weslaco provided funding for construction of its first facility, the building now houses the Library Learning Commons. The first librarian, Frances Wyatt Isbell, was hired in 1971. In the early 1980's, the citizens of Weslaco approved a bond issue of well over one million dollars for the construction of the present facility, which opened its doors to the public in January 1986. The library facility is a two-story Spanish style building. Its interior features a stairway decorated with blue Saltillo tile in the talvera pattern. The Library is joined to the Mayor Eugene A. Braught Memorial Theater by a courtyard featuring a fountain and tropical plantings. The Library was designed by Weslaco architect, Gene P. Hobart. Patrons have access to books, large print materials, a Texas history collection, audio books, art prints, word processors, reference databases, and the Internet. Other services and features include Homework Help, an annual summer reading program for children and families, and monthly exhibits.