Tips & Advice
What are financial products?
Financial products are designed to help you achieve objectives such as saving money, obtaining insurance, establishing a line of credit, investing, or getting a mortgage. Financial products are issued by organizations such as banks, credit unions, investment management firms, mortgage companies, insurance agencies, credit card companies, and stock brokerages.
What is a financial consultant?
A financial consultant is a professional who is qualified to provide guidance in the area of financial management. Some of these experts work for financial institutions, while others are self-employed and work directly with the public. A financial consultant can help you develop a financial strategy focused on savings, retirement, investments, or insurance, and Many are licensed to sell financial products such as stocks and bonds.
Types of financial services
- Financial planning: With financial planning, a financial adviser can help you chart a course to achieve a specific financial objective. Financial planning can be focused on things such retirement planning or funding your child's college education.
- Insurance: Insurance can be used to protect your most valuable assets, and policies are available to cover items such as your car and your home. Insurance can also be used to provide a source of income if you become disabled, and it can cover the costs associated with long-term care. Life insurance can be used to provide funds for your dependents after your death.
- Investment management: A well-chosen investment portfolio can provide you with consistent income over the years, and professional investment management can provide guidance to make smart portfolio choices. Investment management might involve the purchase of products such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.
- Loans: A loan can help provide the funds you need to finance large purchases, and can cover your expenses in emergency situations. Loans can be used to finance the purchase homes and cars, and they can be used to provide the funds for home remodeling or major car repair.
- Credit cards: A credit card allows the holder to purchase goods and services using credit issued by the card's provider.
Trust and estate planning: With trust and estate planning, you can create a strategy to ensure that your assets are passed on to the beneficiaries of your choosing.
What do financial services companies do?
Financial services companies provide financial planning, insurance policies, estate planning, investment management, loans, and credit cards. These financial services companies include retail and commercial banks, internet banks, stock brokerages, credit card companies, insurance companies, investment banks, credit unions, savings and loans associations, and mortgage companies.
What are financial services?
Financial services are professional services associated with the management of money and assets. These services include investment activities, such as those related to stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. Loans and lines of credit also fall under this umbrella. Additionally, financial services include insurance coverage and tax preparation.
How do I find the best life insurance policy/provider?
There are many different providers and plan types, so shopping for life insurance can be complicated. The first step involves understanding the type and amount of life insurance you need. From there, use online tools or contact local insurance agents to get quotes on rates and learn about how to apply.
How much does life insurance usually cost?
The cost of a life insurance policy is determined by two things: the guaranteed benefit amount and the individual risk of the policyholder. The latter is more complicated, and includes many factors, including health, age, and occupation.
As of May 2017, a 30-year-old woman purchasing a 20-year, $250,000 term life policy can expect to pay about $141 per year. For comparison, a 60-year-old woman purchasing the same policy can expect to pay $1,033 per year.
Since women have longer life expectancy on average than men, the latter can expect to pay slightly more. The same 20-year, $250,000 term policy will cost a 30-year-old man $156 per year on average.
Will life insurance cover medical expenses?
Certain specialized policies may provide income replacement in the event of disability, disease, or another situation where it may be impossible to work and medical expenses are high. One common alternative is known as an “accidental death and dismemberment” policy. AD&D policies work similarly to term life plans, but will only pay out death benefits when a fatality is caused by an accident, or if the policyholder loses a limb or the ability to see or hear. Death from a heart attack or cancer, for example, is usually not covered by AD&D, but these policies might offer lower premiums than a standard term plan.
Is it better to save or invest instead of purchasing a life insurance policy?
Many adults with children choose to buy a term life plan that covers them from the birth of a child until they turn 18, which is often the most cost-effective way to insure against the risk of income loss from unexpected death. While it is possible to save enough cash or invest to provide even more funds in case of such an emergency, investing is subject to more risk of loss than a life insurance plan, and accumulating enough savings to provide a sizeable safety net can be difficult.
What is universal life insurance?
Whole life and universal life plans are each considered a type of “permanent life insurance.” Universal life is often similar in concept to whole life, but offers more flexibility in premium payments and cash withdrawals. For example, you might be able to temporarily pause or reduce premium payments at any time under a universal policy. It’s also often possible to borrow from what you’ve already paid into the plan or against a guaranteed death benefit in the form of a loan.