Established in 1866 and based in Utica, Mich., the St. Lawrence catholic community consists of a church, rectory, school and cemetery. St. Lawrence Church was built in European style. The structure is of fireproof construction with walls of solid masonry and its the other structures are made of concrete and steel. The religious education program at St. Lawrence starts in kindergarten and goes up to grade 12. Children are required to start catechism in the first grade. There is also a program for special needs children. St. Lawrence Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in the Utica area.