The South Kentucky Rural Electric Cooperative Corporation is an electric power company serving more than 12 counties in southern Kentucky. It was created in 1938 under the Rural Electrification Act and energized its power lines in 1940. SKRECC purchases all of its power from East Kentucky Power, which has three power-generating facilities in the state. All of the facilities are coal burning power plants. The first one, William C. Dale Station, is on the Kentucky River at Ford, Ky. John Sherman Cooper Station, which came online in 1965, is on Lake Cumberland at Burnside, Ky., and H. L. Spurlock Station, located on the Ohio River near Maysville, Ky., began generating in 1977. SKRECC also offers education programs for conserving and efficiently using energy. The company does inspections for home and commercial usage and offers long distance phone services. Headquarters are in Somerset, Ky., with additional offices in Albany, Monticello, Russell Springs and Whitley City, Ky.