Soldotna Historical Museum, located on Centennial Park Rd, features a wildlife museum and historic log village. Among the log buildings is the last territorial school built in 1958, where students studied by the light of gas lanterns, still hanging in the school. Soldotna's founding settlers arrived in 1947. The "habitable dwellings" which entitles two of these first homesteaders to 160 acres from what is now mid-town Soldotna are part of the village. How the latter-day pioneers lived is revealed in a collection of homestead artifacts and photos in the former Chamber of Commerce log tourist center. Damon Hall, a large building constructed for the Alaska Centennial, features an outstanding display of wildlife mounts with a background mural of these species' natural habitat. The museum is open May 15-Sept 15 of each year. There is free admission. The museum is operated by the Soldotna Historical Society & Museum, Inc.; a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the early history.