About our Lake George Lodge Located on the heritage trail, our setting amidst tall pines, oaks and birches is surrounded by a country rich in the historical lore of Indians, British, French and Continental troops.Built in 1896, the Lodge was originally a three-story hotel called the “Hotel Uncas”. Since then the resort has undergone several name changes from the “Hawkeye Inn”, “Chief Uncas Motel” and is now known as the “Northern Lake George Resort”.When first built, Rt. 9N did not exist. Guests usually came by train to Lake George Village, then known as Caldwell and then by steamer up the lake to the steamboat dock. The steamboat dock which extended 250 feet from shore was the longest dock ever constructed on Lake George. In the early 1900’s “The Hotel Uncas” also contained the local post office as well as a small library for the guests who usually stayed the entire summer. The Lake George motel was originally a bowling alley/casino.In the 1950’s the third story was removed as part of the modernization of the old hotel. Bathrooms and private balconies were added to the second story rooms as well as covered porches off the downstairs lobby and cocktail lounge. Several smaller buildings, including an ice house, have been removed.The Lake George lodge is the last of the original “Old Hotels of Lake George” still operating as a commercial resort. The Lake George Lodge is featured in many books covering the history of Lake George and the surrounding area.