On August 20, 1878, 25 years after Sandwich first became a town, a contract was signed for construction of the Sandwich City Hall and Opera House. An allotment of $10,000 was given for the project. Fast forward 108 years. After much time, money and energy by volunteers to restore and renovate the City Hall and the Opera House, a grand re-opening was held on April 12, 1986. Once again the building functions as a community oriented facility, bringing community theater, lectures, recitals, style shows, weddings and a wide variety of outstanding performers, ranging from country to classical, to its stage.