Checker Bag was founded in 1875, as the Ghio and Gandolfo Self-Rising Flour Company. The company was renamed to reflect the Checker Brand products. Ownership changed hands in 1934 to the present ownership. Checker Foods switched from packaging the cereal in wax boxes to cellophane bags. Soon after others began to ask if Checker could manufacture custom bags. In 1958, Checker sold the food business and concentrated on packaging. In 1989, Checker began in-house printing, soon expanded to a 8 color press.