In 1903, William A. Whitney patented the hand punch, which led to the inception of W.A. Whitney in 1907. The company manufactures thermal plasma and laser cutting and punching equipment systems. Additionally, W.A. Whitney offers its punch and plasma equipment systems and tooling for rental and lease by manufacturers who use plate, sheet metal and structural shapes. Its primary customers are heavy equipment manufacturers of agricultural and construction equipment. W.A. Whitney s main office and manufacturing facilities are located in Rockford, Ill., with worldwide sales and service offices in Canada and Mexico.