Tips & Advice
What is the cost of renting trash containers?
Dumpster-rental costs vary widely, depending on how long you'll need the dumpster and what size you choose. They are typically rented out on a per-week basis. Common sizes include:
The most popular size is the 20-yard dumpster, which is used for outdoor projects or home remodels. Bigger options, like the 30- and 40-yard dumpster, are used for major home renovations.
If your project or event will be completed in one day, it might be more cost effective to pay for a junk removal service.
- 10 yards: Can hold about three pickup trucks' worth of trash
- 20 yards: Can hold 4 tons of trash
- 30 yards: Can hold about nine pickup trucks' worth of trash
- 40 yards: Can hold about 12 pickup trucks' worth of trash
What are some safety tips for handling building material waste?
Some materials, like broken pieces of wood or boards with nails sticking out, should be directly disposed of into your rented dumpster or a designated waste pile. Be sure everyone working with you knows where this is. Also, see that everyone is wearing protective clothing, close-toed shoes, work gloves, and safety goggles.
What are some safety tips for handling asbestos waste?
If you are handling asbestos on your own:
- Wear protective clothing and a respirator or face mask.
- Double wrap the material in plastic and seal it.
- Do your best to keep the material whole; don't break it apart, and if any remains on the walls, gently remove with water.
What are some examples of hazardous waste?
- Pesticides, insecticides and other pest-controlling poisons
- Flammable liquids, including lighter fluid, carpet cleaner, brake fluid, household cleaners and waterproofing sealers
- Latex-based paint, paint thinners
- Chemical drain cleaners
- Broken thermometers
- Motor oil and oil filters
What are some safety tips for handling hazardous waste?
- Wear gloves and a mask.
- Keep waste in a well-sealed container.
- Clearly label the container with a waterproof label.
How much does waste removal cost?
Waste generally refers to items or substances that could be dangerous to people and the environment, like chemicals, batteries, fluorescent light bulbs, old latex paint or debris from a construction project. Solid waste removal generally costs around $160; hazardous waste will cost anywhere between $50 and $100, depending on how much it weighs. Construction waste can usually be taken away for about $200.
How much does recycling removal cost?
Most companies ask you to put paper recycling in one bin, and plastic and glass in another. Some will also give the option to pick up unsorted recycling for a fee. Usually, regular recycling removal costs between $5 and $25 per month if you have one paper bin and one plastic and glass bin. If you have more than this, a fee of $2.50 to $7.50 per bin might be tacked on.
How much does compost removal cost?
If you separate your compostable garbage from your regular trash, you can pay for a company to come around to pick up your yard and food waste. This generally costs around $100.
What does junk removal cost?
Junk removal handles items like old furniture, tires, or appliances. Pricing generally depends on the scope of the task. For example, hot tub removal will be more expensive - generally around $130 - than taking away a couch, which might fall closer to $80. Some cities may have options to have your large items picked up for free.
What does trash removal cost?
Most trash removal companies charge between $10 and $40 per month, or $140 to $250 per year. This expense might be included in your utility bill, rent payment or another bill every month. If you decide to hire an independent company instead of relying on the city-provided services, you might be able to save a little bit of money.