Can a family doctor write anti-depressants anxiety or mood stabilizers?


Answers provided for informational purposes only – not intended as professional advice on any particular situation. DexYP disclaims all liability for Answers.

All Answers (1)

Chaya C.

Anyone who is an MD can prescribe psychotropic drugs, and many family doctors do routinely write prescriptions for antidepressants and tranquilizers. However, if you want your treatment to be most effective, it's best to be under the care of a psychiatrist who is extensively trained and experienced in treating mood disorders. Asking your GP to prescribe antidepressants would be like asking him or her to prescribe insulin if you were diabetic - sure, s/he could technically prescribe it, but you'd most likely see an endocrinologist to treat your diabetes.

...Read More