Portland Mayor's Mansion™ is a four-room bed and breakfast located at Laurelhurst Park in Portland, Ore. The mansion, which was originally called the H. Russell House, has been referred to as The Mayor's House or The Mayor's Mansion for many years. It is our intention to keep the beautiful and historic home, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, connected to its past. The H. Russell Albee House, built in 1912, holds significance under the U.S. Department of the Interior's Criterion "C" as an excellent and well-maintained example of Colonial Revival Architecture. Located on a commanding site overlooking Laurelhurst Park in southeast Portland, the large brick home was designed by prominent architect, Albert E. Doyle. Significant elements include the following: Bilateral symmetry of the front elevation Hipped roof Arched and rectangular windows, double-hung and casement Pedimented entrance portico; and Full Doric entablature at the roofline and classical interior detailing - all characteristic features of the Colonial Revival. Albert E. Doyle designed many large homes in Portland. His most prominent works included the Selling Building, Multnomah County Central Library, Northwest Bank Building (now the American Bank Building), Reed College, Benson Hotel, U.S. National Bank Building, the lodge at Multnomah Falls, Public Service Building and the Pacific Building where he moved his office in 1926. H. Russell Albee carries significance under the U.S. Department of the Interior's criterion "B" for his contribution to good government in Portland and his lifelong interest and support for the city park system. Albee served one term as a State Senator before being elected mayor of Portland in 1913. He was elected on a progressive platform that included a charter proposal that eliminated the old ward system and introduced the commission form of government Portland has today. Albee's skill and leadership brought about the successful implementation of the new government and the related modern programs. He led the efforts to develop the city's public docks and strongly supported measures to implement the park expansion called for in the 1912 Bennett Plan. He did not seek reelection in 1917, returned full time to his insurance business. In 1939, after his retirement from business, Albee returned to public service when the city council invited him to accept the temporary post of advisor and assistant to the Superintendent of Parks, a position that was established in connection with a new park development program. The position was made permanent in 1940 and Albee was given title of Supervisor of Land Acquisition and Development for the Bureau of Parks. He continued in that position until his death at age 83, December 31, 1950.