Harding's Market was built on the basic business philosophy that, 'Harding s customers deserve the best service possible, provided by friendly employees. The company accomplished this by sacking and carrying groceries for customers and greeting them whenever possible. At 7,500 square feet, the first Harding s Market, which opened in 1944 in Parchment, Mich., was modest by today s mega-store standards. However, the company has since expanded to more than 25 stores in southwest Michigan and northern Indiana, including one in Plainwell, Mich. This location features an on-site bakery, but no pharmacy or floral departments, which are available at several Harding s locations.