Tips & Advice
What is a rehabilitation hospital?
A rehabilitation hospital is a facility that provides care on an inpatient basis. Rehabilitation hospitals use an interdisciplinary team to provide treatment for a wide range of conditions, including strokes, bone fractures, spinal injuries, and joint replacements. These facilities also treat those who suffer from neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, and muscular dystrophy.
What type of therapy do rehabilitation patients receive?
Rehabilitation patients might receive physical therapy designed to strengthen their bodies and help them achieve greater independence in handling day-to-day tasks. They might also receive speech therapy to help restore their communication skills. Psychological or psychiatric therapy can be provided to those with neurological diagnoses.
What is acute rehabilitation?
Acute rehabilitation is used to care for those who suffer from and especially traumatic or debilitating illness or disease. This type of rehabilitation is also used to help patients recover from certain types of surgery. Acute rehabilitation, which is intensive is often administered on an inpatient basis, with an attending physician onsite to manage all aspects of a patient's care.
What is vocational rehabilitation?
Vocational rehabilitation is a process that helps those who suffer from impairments and disabilities gain the skills they need to join or reenter the workforce. This type of rehabilitation can include medical and psychological assessment, career counseling and guidance, job placement, job coaching, medical and/or psychological treatment, and on-the-job training.
What is an outpatient rehab program?
An outpatient rehab program is one that takes place at a facility that does not require an overnight stay. Outpatient rehab programs are less expensive than inpatient care. In certain cases, outpatient care might follow inpatient treatment, and this is done to help a patient integrate rehabilitation protocols into daily living.
What is rehabilitation therapy?
Rehabilitation therapy is the care and treatment a patient receives after a health crisis, such as injury or illness. This type of therapy is used to address a wide range of illnesses, including cancer, stroke, and cardiac arrest. Rehabilitation therapy is also used to help people recover from accidents, and it may be used help treat drug and alcohol addiction.
What are rehabilitation services?
Rehabilitation services help those who have been debilitated by illness, injury, or disability gain the skills they need for daily living. Physical and occupational therapy often play key roles in this type of care, and as well as speech-language pathology and psychiatric rehabilitation. Rehabilitation might take place in an inpatient or outpatient environment.
What are the benefits of hiring a property management company?
Some of the key benefits of hiring a property management company include:
- Better tenants: The best property management companies are skilled at tenant screening. This can help you attract a higher caliber of tenants to your building. Effective tenant screening can bring in tenants who are more likely to pay their rent in a timely fashion, and who are more likely to remain long-term residents of the building. Screening can also provide you with tenants who are less likely to damage the rental property.
- Shorter vacancy cycles: If a tenant moves out, it can take awhile to find a qualified replacement. It's in your best interest to keep this vacancy cycle as short as possible, since you won't be earning any money from an empty unit. Skilled property managers can handle the process of finding a replacement tenant quickly and effectively. This results in shorter vacancy cycles.
- Freedom from the day-to-day responsibilities associated with property management: If you manage a property yourself, you'll have to deal with things like rent collection, tenant complaints, and maintenance and repair issues. These responsibilities can be bothersome and time-consuming. Hiring a property management company will help you avoid having to deal with these tasks on a daily basis.
- Reduced tenant turnover. Tenant turnover can impact the profitability of a rental unit. The best property management companies know how to keep their tenants happy, and happy tenants are a lot less likely to move out of the building and a lot more likely to take reasonable rent increases in stride.
How to find a property manager?
Use the following steps to find and hire a property manager:
- Get referrals, or conduct an online search: Start by getting referrals from sources you trust. Be sure to get referrals from multiple sources to avoid bias. You can also conduct an online search to find property management companies that are based in your area.
- Check for ratings, reviews, and complaints: Once you're built a list of candidates, check with the Better Business Bureau to see if complaints have been lodged against any of the companies. It's also wise to visit third-party review sites to see what types of ratings and reviews each company has received.
- Look at each company's current work. After weeding out those companies with credible complaints and poor reviews, look at the current work of the companies that remain on your list. Evaluate the ads posted by these companies; you'll want to work with a company whose ads project professionalism. Visit buildings managed by these companies, and speak with the tenants. The best property management companies have tenants who are happy with the services they provide.
- Conduct interviews with the top candidates: Next, conduct interviews with the property managers who remain on your list. Look for a company with staff members who are responsive to your questions and open to hearing about your priorities and concerns.
- Check licensing: At this point, you should have a favorite or two. Before signing on the dotted line, verify that the company is licensed to manage property in your state. In most states, a real estate broker license is required, while a few states require a property management license.
- Carefully review the agreement: Once you've been presented with a property management agreement from the company you've chosen, check to make sure it explicitly includes all the duties and responsibilities you'd like the property management company to handle.
Does property management require a license?
In most states, property management requires a real estate broker license. To obtain this license, you need to have a high school diploma or its equivalent, along with at least two or three years of real estate experience. Classes in real estate education are required, as well as passing a real estate broker's exam.
In a handful of states, a specific property management license is required before someone can legally manage property. This license is required in Montana, Oregon, South Carolina, and South Dakota.