Tips & Advice
Can unbalanced loads damage a washing machine?
If the washing machine is overloaded or all the clothes are packed to one side, the imbalance can cause the washing machine to jerk and shake. These vibrations can be violent enough to slam the machine against other objects, possibly causing damage to its exterior.
How often should the coils under the refrigerator be cleaned?
Refrigerator coils should be cleaned at least twice a year. Households with pets should clean their refrigerator coils more frequently.
At what temperature should a refrigerator and freezer be set?
To reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommends homeowners set their refrigerators at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit and their freezers at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
Which is less expensive to operate, a gas or electric dryer?
In terms of operations and upkeep, gas dryers are less expensive than electric. The actual savings depends on the cost of gas vs. electricity in the area. Still, gas dryers heat up faster than electric ones do, making them slightly more energy efficient. However, gas dryers are priced higher than electric ones, so homeowners should prepare to pay more at the outset.
What is the best way to increase the longevity of home appliances?
Proper maintenance helps most home appliances last longer. Homeowner's should check their user's manuals for insight on how often to inspect, clean or upgrade their appliances.
What is the life expectancy of a clothes dryer?
Most dryers last 10-13 years.
What is the life expectancy of major home appliances?
- Refrigerator: 10-14 years
- Freezer: 12-16 years
- Dishwasher: 9-12 years
- Gas range: 15-19 years
- Electric range: 13-16 years
- Garbage disposal: 10-15 years
- Washing machine: 8-12 years
Is the oven supposed to give off a strong smell during self-cleaning?
A strong smell is normal. The oven heats up to over 900 degrees Fahrenheit during the self-cleaning process, burning any food residue to a fine ash that the owner wipes away after the process. The smell itself comes from the oven's coating, which releases fumes as it heats up. These fumes are only toxic to birds, but many homeowners find them unpleasant.
Do fabric softener sheets damage dryers?
Fabric softener sheets won't damage a dryer, but they do reduce the machine's efficiency. The sheets contain a small amount of fabric softener that, when heated, penetrates clothing. However, it also leaves residue behind in the dryer. This residue can get stuck in the lint filter and reduce circulation. This then makes it harder for the machine to dry clothes and increases the risk of overheating.
What prevents a clothes dryer from generating heat?
There are several possible reasons for why a clothes dryer isn't generating heat:
- The lint filter is blocked. A surprising amount of people don't realize their dryer's lint filter must be cleaned before every cycle. The location of the filter varies depending on the machine's model.
- The thermal fuse has blown. This mechanism prevents the machine from overheating. Aside from the lint filter trap, a broken thermal fuse is the most common cause of malfunctioning dryers. There's no way to repair a broken fuse - it must be replaced.
- The heating element burned out. This device warms the air before it enters the dryer drum. Like the thermal fuse, it cannot be repaired and must be replaced if broken.
- The air vent hose is bent, damaged, or clogged with lint not caught by the filter. This obstructs the airflow, making it difficult for clothes to dry.