GRIFFITH POTTERY HOUSE, INC started as a hobby of Mr. A. James Griffith, Jr. while working as a salesman for a chemical company. He began teaching students the "art of ceramics" and opened a store in Germantown, Pennsylvania in 1944. The students would learn the process of taking raw clay to create ceramic pieces and led to the sales of supplies and raw materials. During World War II, Mr. Griffith published a book on how to make ceramic pieces and ceramic jewelry that was sold to U.S.O. clubs throughout the United States.