Old Westbury Gardens, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is the former country estate of John S. Phipps and his wife Margarita Grace Phipps. Opened to the public in 1959 with the mission of preserving a part of Long Island’s heritage, Old Westbury Gardens is an extraordinary example of a gracious era. Built in 1906 by the English designer George A. Crawley, Westbury House is a magnificent country house reflecting English architecture of the late 1600s and early 1700s The house is furnished with fine English antiques and decorative arts and remains virtually intact from the more than 50 years of the family’s residence. The estate includes over 70 acres of landscaped formal and informal gardens. An additional 160 acres of fields and woodlands surround the estate.