Mission of the Oakland Aviation Museum Educate about the role of historic North Field Oakland International Airport, Oakland and the Bay Area in the development of aviation on the West Coast and in the US by collecting, preserving and interpreting aircraft and aviation artifacts that reflect this proud heritage. The Oakland Aviation Museum was founded in 1981 as a non-profit organization under IRS Code 501 C ( 3 ) under the name of Western Aerospace Museum. The museum's first home was a small room at Hangar 5 at Oakland International Airport's historic North Field. In 1988, the Museum was granted use of the historic Boeing School of Aeronautics hangar built in 1939. The hangar serves as the primary facility of the Museum, providing indoor and outdoor exhibition space, an education room, a History Flicks room, a research library and aircraft restoration work areas. In 2007, Western Aerospace Museum was renamed Oakland Aviation Museum with the historical mission refocused on the important legacy of flight at North Field and the surrounding area. We are proud to be a continued partner with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport in preserving and presenting the East Bay's history of flight.