Tips & Advice
What are the different types of land surveys?
There are three basic types of land surveys:
- Boundary surveys are used to establish and mark the legal boundaries of the lot.
- Mortgage surveys are used to pinpoint the parcel’s boundaries, along with the locations of any surrounding buildings or structures. Land surveys can be required by mortgage companies or banks as part of the lending process.
- Topographical surveys are used to identify features of the land, natural and man-made, such as trees (who owns or is responsible for), streams, fences and buildings. Topographical surveys might be required by governmental agencies or architects and engineers.
What is a residential surveyor?
A residential surveyor specializes in surveying residential properties. In addition to the standard property boundary identification, residential surveyors can aid in outlining improvements to the property. They can measure and map topographical features, including any easements or service entrances that cross the property and mark areas where other properties may infringe on their true boundaries. These can be especially helpful, even essential, when putting up fences, or doing additions to the house, like adding decks or pools, or deciding who pays for that line-straddling tree that just fell.
What is a land survey for?
Land surveys are used to determine the boundaries of a parcel of land, including the lines and corners of the lot. They can be used to settle disputes with neighbors, determine where fences can be put up, and can be necessary when applying for building permits or mortgage loans.
Is a land survey required during a real estate transaction?
No, a land survey is not required during a real estate transaction. However, any surveys the property owner has had done, or were done prior to their ownership that they have documentation of, must be turned over to the purchasing party. It is not a legal requirement to have a survey done, but the buyer is legally entitled to all documentation of prior surveys. Banks or lenders might require a land survey as part of the mortgage lending process. Chances are the seller of the property already has copy of any previous land surveys. Owners are required to turn any surveys over to buyers, so you don’t necessarily have to have one done.
What kind of education is required to become a land surveyor?
To become a land surveyor, you must first have a bachelor’s degree, ideally in surveying or a related major. After four years of training, candidates must pass the Fundamentals of Surveying and the Principles of Practice exams after completing training to get their license.
How much does it cost to have a property surveyed?
The cost to have a property surveyed can vary, not just on the location, but on the surveyor and the details of the project. While costs vary, you are very likely to get a survey done for around $350- $500. It’s one thing to have a basic parcel surveyed, but it’s another to have a remote piece of swampland in the middle of nowhere surveyed. The best way to know is to get quotes from licensed surveyors who know the area and the terrain and are experienced working it.
A land surveyor is a trained professional who measures properties or other parcels of land to determine their boundaries. For instance, if you had a dispute with a neighbor over where your boundaries are, like to determine where a fence would go or who owns a tree, a land surveyor could come out and take the measurements to make that determination. They can also provide topographical measurements for both natural and man-made features on the property, like a stream or a deck.
What are financial products?
Financial products are designed to help you achieve objectives such as saving money, obtaining insurance, establishing a line of credit, investing, or getting a mortgage. Financial products are issued by organizations such as banks, credit unions, investment management firms, mortgage companies, insurance agencies, credit card companies, and stock brokerages.
What is a financial consultant?
A financial consultant is a professional who is qualified to provide guidance in the area of financial management. Some of these experts work for financial institutions, while others are self-employed and work directly with the public. A financial consultant can help you develop a financial strategy focused on savings, retirement, investments, or insurance, and Many are licensed to sell financial products such as stocks and bonds.
Types of financial services
- Financial planning: With financial planning, a financial adviser can help you chart a course to achieve a specific financial objective. Financial planning can be focused on things such retirement planning or funding your child's college education.
- Insurance: Insurance can be used to protect your most valuable assets, and policies are available to cover items such as your car and your home. Insurance can also be used to provide a source of income if you become disabled, and it can cover the costs associated with long-term care. Life insurance can be used to provide funds for your dependents after your death.
- Investment management: A well-chosen investment portfolio can provide you with consistent income over the years, and professional investment management can provide guidance to make smart portfolio choices. Investment management might involve the purchase of products such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.
- Loans: A loan can help provide the funds you need to finance large purchases, and can cover your expenses in emergency situations. Loans can be used to finance the purchase homes and cars, and they can be used to provide the funds for home remodeling or major car repair.
- Credit cards: A credit card allows the holder to purchase goods and services using credit issued by the card's provider.
Trust and estate planning: With trust and estate planning, you can create a strategy to ensure that your assets are passed on to the beneficiaries of your choosing.