Monro Muffler Brake & Service
235 E Main St, Newark, DE 19711
Click to make an appointment online!Book an Appointment
TollFree: (877) 466-6676
No coupons available at this time.
AWESOME service!! John (the manager) was very informative about what was needed in my car and what was recommended. He thoroughly explained what each service was and why it was important and the costs involved. The estimate he gave me was within pennies of what the final cost was.
Before he allowed my car to leave, he personally drove it around the corner. He was able to re-diagnose a problem that would have been over $800 to fix and was able to have a technician weld the piece needed in less than 5 minutes and didn't charge for it!
They truly look out for their customers and I will be happy to return in the future! If you are looking for an HONEST repair shop this is the place to go!!!
Went in for an oil change, check engine light and a 30 point safety inspection. What I got was a $850 quote for power steering sensor replacement, power steering flush, diagnostics, brake system flush, brake shoes, brake hardware, brake drums, brake caliber, and they forgot my oils change.
There was also a $38 misc. charge that did not get explained.
Knowing the power steering sensor was anywhere between $20-$40 and an oil changne usually goes for $30 at most I told them to fix the check engine light, do the oil change, and write up the quote for the brakes. $414.73. For the work done.
I did not get a quote for the brakes, all I got was a list of parts.
When I asked about the work they denied any justification and would not support the work for the brakes with the supposed brake test they do on vehicles. When the slips where brought up there where safety test for other vehicles but not mine.
Upon further investigation the shop left my brake calibers exposed, no supposed leakage in the brake lines, no worn brake drums, and no need for repair. I could not double check the sensor due to the fact they cleared my trucks memory, I will also have to wait to get my truck inspected due to the fact my trucks diagnostics have been defaulted.
Absolutely stay away. Don't even get your oil changed there. Here's why:
- Every time you get your oil changed, they give you a quote of a lot of work that needs to be done to your car. My advice is to then take your car to someone else and ask if that work REALLY needs to be done. Odds are, it doesn't.
- If they say they will rotate your tires, during an oil change, odds are, they're lying. I had my "tires rotated" during my routine oil changes. After a short time, all of my tires started going flat, at the same time. I needed all new tires because they hadn't been rotated once in the three years that I brought it to them.
- They try to scare the customer into getting work done that isn't necessary. They take advantage of people's ignorance about cars.
- I watched a worker back a customer's SUV out of the garage, across their small lot, and into a telephone pole. It ruined the back bumper, the spare tire on the back of the car, and shattered the back windshield. They have no respect for your car.
- I brought my car there for an oil change. They told me to replace an axle, I did. They replaced it (~300$); it broke. I went back, they replaced it (I paid for labor still) and the other one that they said needed to be fixed (another 300$). It broke. I went back and they refused to fix it, told me my transmission was completely shot and that I needed to get it replaced. Couldn't be the axles. "The car is not fit to leave the parking lot, the wheels will fall off, the transmission will explode, and you will probably end up in the hospital." I went somewhere else, had them fix it by installing two brand new axles for $300 TOTAL. Turns out the axles that Monroe insalled weren't installed properly in the transmission, which would have eventually caused the transmission to break. I ended up calling the district manager, and I got a refund.
In short, I will never, ever, go there again. I had to take off way too much time from work getting my car fixed. I suffered a lot of anxiety from this company with their fear tactics. They overcharged me. It was completely not worth it. Go ANYWHERE ELSE.
I too was told I needed their pricy shocks for my two year old car that really doesn't need them. The shocks aren’t in perfect shape they're just not needed yet, so I wasn't exactly lied to.
I went there for their lifetime warrantee brakes, and an oil change. They did have my car for about four and a half hours before I got a call to pick it up, but in my experience that's an average wait when your dropping your car off.
Monro is about the same as any place you take your car to, just before you have any one perform an expensive job on your car get a second opinion and price some other places out.
I had wheel bearings supposedly replaced by Monroe in February, in July, the same problem occurred and the wheel bearing on the rear right had to again be replaced. I'm not 100% certain that they changed the bearing to begin with. They at the time claimed that both rear bearings were bad. The car was quieter after the first bearing job, but if only 1 was bad to begin with, this stands to reason.
Anyhow, in July I brought the car back to replace the bearing (they did me a favor and didn't charge the full price to replace it again). As a note, the front bearings were replaced over a year ago while I lived in NE, and they're still perfect. Anyhow, on this second trip, the person working there informed me that the rear tires were bad and that the shocks would need to be replaced. The tires did have some wear and needed to be replaced. However, there was no problem with the shocks.
This job should have been done very quickly-they have had the car for well over 7 hours and were still unsure that they would be able to finish the job before I needed it for an appointment after work. The service and quality of repairs is completely horrible and if you are a female in need of an honest/decent auto repair shop-this is not it...