St. Mary of Mount Virgin Church was founded in 1904 to provide a house of worship for the growing Italian American community of New Brunswick, New Jersey. The church was formally incorporated on August 25, 1905. By 1927 the Italian population had grown significantly and a Church Building Society was formed for the purpose of raising funds to build a church. The presiding Pastor, Father Mugnano saw his "dream of dreams" constructed in 1928. Built in a Romanesque style, constructed of granite stones, with cast bronze bells imported from Holland, St. Mary of Mount Virgin Church became a center of life for the thriving Italian community.Over the years, under the direction of Father Mugnano, St. Mary of Mount Virgin Church grew into the complex that it is today - Church, Rectory, Convent, and School.