Tips & Advice
What types of services do security consultants provide?
Physical security consultants can help make sure your property's physical and electronic security systems are up to snuff, and they can offer recommendations that can reduce vulnerability. Cyber security consultants provide services that offer protection from hacking and other cyber crimes.
What is the cost of hiring a security consultant?
The cost of hiring a security consultant can run $150-$200 per hour, and the rate will vary based on the scope of services required. In many cases, a preliminary security assessment will need to be performed to get a sense of what kind of effort will be required to create a safe environment. Some security consultants offer this assessment free of charge.
What education and training does a security consultant usually have?
To become a security consultant, you need specific education and training. A bachelor's degree is required, and security consultants have majors in disciplines ranging from criminal justice to computer science. Physical security consultants might have professional experience in law enforcement. Many employers prefer candidates who have pursued additional certification, and the International Association of Professional Security Consultants offers the Certified Security Consultant designation for those working in this field. To get this credential, candidates need to pass a 100-question multiple-choice exam and meet certain requirements concerning education and professional experience.
What is a security consultant?
A security consultant is a professional skilled in providing assistance with neutralizing and preventing various types of security threats. Some security consultants focus on the details associated with physically securing a property. Others are skilled in cyber security, and can help prevent and address computer hacking and other related issues.
What is the difference between a security consultant and an analyst?
Security consultants advise clients on strategies they can use to protect physical property or shield their computer networks from various cyber threats, and they may also offer assistance with the implementation of these protocols. For example, to foster a safer work environment, a security consultant may advise a company to install surveillance cameras or implement more rigorous background checks for new hires. A security consultant may also analyze a company’s IT system for weaknesses, and develop protocols designed to prevent unauthorized access.
Security analysts tend to focus largely on the day-to-day execution of a company’s security measures. For example, a security analyst may monitor a company’s computer networks to make sure security hasn’t been breached. If a breach occurs, the analyst will work to seal the security hole. A security analyst may also handle day-to-day reporting regarding a company’s physical conditions and risks, as well as the coordination of a response effort in emergency situations.
What are the types of security consultants?
There are two types of security consultants:
- Physical security consultants are concerned with protecting physical property, and they specialize in things such as perimeter fences, exterior access control, video surveillance, and intrusion detection.
- Cyber security consultants specialize in computerized, network, and data security, and offer protection against hacking and similar threats.
What are the most common home security devices?
- Motion sensors
- Smoke, CO2, and flood detectors
- Panic buttons
- Door and window stoppers
- Spot lights/floodlights
- Etched window glass
- Combination safe
- reinforced locks
- Placing signs and sticker for security systems outside home
- Personal safety items (firearms, stun guns, pepper spray, batons, etc.)
Is it necessary to have a home alarm system professionally installed?
No, it is possible to install a home alarm system yourself. Some systems are specifically designed to be installed by homeowners. These systems are often cheaper and more customizable. However some systems require the expertise of a professional and installation should be left up to them to avoid making any errors. Review the specifications of the system and/or contact the manufacturer if you are unsure about its installation requirements.
What are the advantages of a wireless security system?
- Easy and inexpensive to install and does not require any drilling or modification of the home.
- Does not require a landline.
- Can be taken from one home to another during change of residence.
- Can be combined with a hardwired system.
What are the advantages of a hardwired security system?
- No need to change any batteries, as with wireless systems
- No interference from other signals
- All hardwired systems run on essentially the same technology so products and services from different companies will be compatible with each other.
- If moving to a home with a hardwired system already installed, you can save money by bypassing installation costs.
- New security equipment for these systems is less expensive than for wireless systems.
- Can be combined with a wireless system