In the early 1900s, John Schroeder of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, began to assemble the land known today as the Schroeder-Manatee Ranch (SMR). An owner of furniture, turpentine, milling and lumber businesses, Schroeder selected this land for its abundant natural resources and beauty. In 1922, the land was acquired and continued to expand the agricultural operations, which are still active today. Cattle ranching, vegetable and citrus farming, timber, turf and shell mining are but a few of these businesses. In 1994, after 19 years of planning and approvals, real estate development was added into the mix with the introduction of Lakewood Ranch, located on the county line of Sarasota and Manatee on Florida's west coast, a resort and year-round vacation destination.