Pacific Star Seafoods site was erected soon after the turn of the 20th century and operated as a family-operated saltery near the mouth of the Kenai River. Enough salted, preserved salmon was prepared each year to ensure a steady diet of fish during the winter for the early pioneer families living in and around nearby Kenai, Alaska. In 1946, the first cannery was built on the site. The plant was named the Kenai Salmon Packing Company, also known as Kenai Packers, in 1950. The Kenai Packers name stood for salmon products until May 1994, the year Pacific Star Seafoods purchased the facility.