Saint Louis School is the successor of the College of Ahuimanu, formerly in Windward Oahu, founded in 1846 by the Catholic Mission under the direction of the Fathers of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. In 1881, the school moved to its second location on Beretania Street adjoining Washington Place, now the Governor's residence. At that time the name "College of St. Louis" was given to the institution in honor of Bishop Louis Maigret's patron saint, Louis IX. Growing enrollment soon required the Mission Fathers to relocate the school to Kamakela on the banks of Nuuanu Stream, and the College was placed under the direction of five pioneer Brothers of Mary (Marianists) who arrived from Dayton, Ohio in 1883. In the years following, it became evident that the elementary and high school departments were in need of still larger quarters. Encouraged by parents and alumni, the Marianists laid plans for a greater St. Louis College. In the 1920s, land was purchased and plans were developed for moving to the present location. Classes began on Kalaepohaku in September 1928. After sixty seven years of providing education at grade levels one through twelve, the elementary and intermediate grades were withdrawn one grade a year beginning in 1950. The Marianists established Chaminade College in 1955, on the east end of the campus. High school classes continued on campus until 1979, when the school's Board of Trustees voted to re-incorporate intermediate grades seven and eight, beginning in fall, 1980. A sixth grade was added and the intermediate grades were then converted to a middle school beginning with the fall semester of 1990. In the new millennium, the school began a sequential expansion to include grades five and four. Construction on a new Learning and Technology Center is soon scheduled to house an expanded curricular program.
Phone: (808) 739-7777
cash, amex, master card, visa, all major credit cards