In mybook® Community Collection (edit)

Added to your community collection.
Removed from mybook!

We took this business out of your community collection.

Sponsored Links
General Info
Having left the mother church Bethlehem Baptist Church, Temple Memorial Baptist Church had its beginning the third Sunday in October, 1938, when a small group of devout Christians met under a tree at the corner of Fairview, Taylor and Loflin streets, with Rev. A.S. Townsend for the purpose of organizing a church. The founding of this church which later became known as Mt. Zion Baptist Church was the result of a few dedicated believers, who sought peaceful worship, and an opportunity to serve. The Mt. Zion Church opened its doors in a storefront on Loflin Street. The able leadership of Rev. Townsend and his powerful preaching was an anchor for the church. In less than thirty-six months from its inception, a lot had been purchased on Taylor Street. The erection of a house of worship was realized. From 1938 to 1941, Rev. Townsend served with youthful vitality that gave impetus to the growth of the church. In February 1941, Dr. Fisher R. Mason accepted the call to serve the church as pastor. It was determined that the congregation needed a fresh start and a name change was suggested. An alumnus of Temple University in Philadelphia, Dr. Mason had maintained a close relationship with an official of the university over the years. As Dr. Mason's friend and teacher at Temple had recently died, he asked the congregation to rename the Church "Temple Memorial" as a tribute to Temple University (where he had studied ) and to his deceased friend. Dr. Fisher R. Mason The congregation enthusiastically embraced his suggestion and began anew as Temple Memorial Baptist Church. On Sunday, May 8, 1960, the Rev. Dr. Leonard L. Macon assumed pastorate of Temple Memorial. Dr. Macon was widely known as an accomplished and skilled preacher of the Gospel. His gift in the pulpit translated into broad support of his program by the congregation. A builder of churches, Dr. Macon led the congregation to add a modern educational wing to the Taylor Street building and the addition was dedicated on April 21, 1968. Possessing a broad vision for what Temple Memorial could be, Dr. Macon was at the helm when the church was relocated from Taylor Street to its current home at 1458 Cedrow Drive. A one-half million dollar sanctuary and one wing of the building was constructed on five and one-halfacres of land. Six missionary groups were formed, a Young Adult choir was organized and each auxiliary celebrated anannual day. Dr. Macon wanted every member to work inthe church, asserting that "Everybody is Somebody". Our membership steadily increased. He served as pastor ofTemple Memorial faithfully for twenty-eight years, until his untimely death in May 1988. Dr. Arthur L. Byrd in May 1989 began a new chapter in the history of Temple Memorial as he began his tenure as pastor. New programs and organizations were implemented. These programs included: The Deacon Ministry, The Sanctuary Choir, Male Chorus, Young Adult Usher Board, Educational tours for the youth, recognition and cash awards to honor roll students, and most academically improved students, monthly and / or quarterly plaques to members for outstanding achievements, senior citizen outings, the church anniversary picnic (the third Saturday in July ) and an Annual Awards Banquet. Dr. Byrd led the congregation to erect a new educational wing on the Cedrow Drive facility in 1995. This new addition brought the value of Temple Memorial's property into the multimillion dollar range. On Sunday, February 9, 1997, Dr. Byrd resigned his position as pastor of Temple Memorial Baptist Church. Rev. Haywood T. Gray On Christmas Day, 1997, Rev. Haywood T. Gray accepted the call of Temple Memorial Baptist Church to become the church's fifth pastor. Temple grew by leaps and bounds and progressed in many ways. Some of the major achievements under the direction of Rev. Gray included the Cassette Tape Ministry, Computer Lab, Commission on the Constitution, increase in Sunday School enrollment, Bible Study, a Daily Bible Reading Program
Hours
Do you know the hours for this business?
Extra Phones

Phone: (336) 883-7023

Phone: (336) 883-9582

Fax: (336) 883-9582

Fax: (336) 883-7023

Categories
Baptist Churches, Churches & Places of Worship

Reviews

Hi there!
Be the first to review!
First-classBetter than mostAbout what I expectedNot the worst...Disappointing
Click to Rate
Share Review

Like this review? Share it on your social network to get the word out!

Sponsored Links