The Door Shop Inc
44 Brigham Hill Rd, Grafton, MA 01519
Not satisfied at all. Still waiting for a replacement glass insert installed in a new door. Have had three inserts installed. The first was not our choice. And the last two, the interior blinds do not work correctly. Can't raise or close the blinds because interior mechanism has failed. This has been going on since Sept. 2013. The REAL problem is customer service - very very lacking. They do not contact you the customer, you have to repeatedly contact them.
After looking for someone to replace two doors in our older Victorian home, we finally settled on the Door Shop Store. Sure, we could have gone with the big guys (HD/Lowe’s), but we wanted to support the little guy, and figured we’d get better service and product with them than the big guys. WE WERE WRONG. Here are all the things that went wrong:
- Sean told us originally that it would take 3-4 weeks to get our doors installed. When he tried to tell us later that it was actually 6-8 weeks, I had email proof that he was wrong. He apologized, but “couldn’t do anything” about it
- When I confirmed that they had everything they needed, including the mail slot, they said “oh no, you need to order one and send it to us” – but if that is part of their offering, shouldn’t they have those on hand? Regardless – we ordered it and shipped it to them
- After emailing and calling every week to try and get our installation date, we finally got one – 9 weeks after our measurement date
- They told me that they “knew” they had to give us an install date only “after my husband called” – which as a business operating in 2015, maybe you SHOULDN’T say that to the woman you have been dealing with for 2 months at this point
- The day before our installation (9 weeks after measurement) they called to say that even though both doors are either fully enclosed or under covered porches, they could not install due to the rain and their power tools – fine, but maybe they should have explained that in any number of the installation conversations we had at that point
- The day of our new installation date, we got a call from the installer saying they noticed a defect in one of the doors, and they didn’t know how long it would be to get a new door, nor could they give us any sense of timing. They also wouldn’t install the other door until they had both
At that point we were done with them. We are getting our deposit back (over $1000) and asking for either our mail slot back or the amount we paid for that back. It’s been 12 weeks since I first contacted them, and I can’t believe it took us this long to realize that the other reviews were true. We could have finished our renovation project over a month ago, had it not been for the fact that we were waiting for them to install these doors.
Summary: Don’t use The Door Shop Store. Tim, Sean, and the installers have no idea how to run a business or deal with customers (especially women apparently). Take your money elsewhere and you will be much more satisfied than we are.
I ordered interior, prehung, primed, solid fir, 5 panel shaker door.
–The door panel are constructed really well from quality material.
NOW here are all the issues:
· All doors came with the wrong hinges. They tried to rectify this by sending one guy out with a box of hinges and a drill. They were all still shrink wrapped and very heavy. Not a one man job. I told them to leave the hinges and I would swap them after they are installed. That said, the hinges (the wrong ones and the replacement ones) are poor quality (the pins are loose for such a heavy door panel).
· Some doors were mislabeled compared to the rough openings which were marked and measured by a Door Shop Store employee. Anybody who has installed a house full of doors knows what a waste of time this can be.
· Two doors ended up with the incorrect swings (homeowner was ok with the change. thankfully it was not a major issue)
· Every single door frame was built with too small of a top door jamb. The single panel doors were approximately an 1/8” too small and the two doubles were 3/16” to a ¼” too small. We explored with the correct and the most efficient way to rectify including planing down the upper part of the door panel, completely replacing the top jamb with new lumber and door stop, disassembling the jamb, inserting two 1/16” spaces on each side and reinstalling, then caulking the gap created by the spacer
· Two of the two door jambs were made of sub-par material with knots right at the end creating a splits in the wood and not holding together (we replaced these ones)
· Had to rip off a few door stops (there were a big curves) because it was not installed straight.
· On the door jamb and the door panel they did the routing for the strike plate and door knob. I wish they did not. On about 50% of the doors, the routing is significantly off for the strike plate and door knob. They must have marked (and mitered) the strike plate and door knob when the top jamb and panel did not have a consistent space in-between them. In other words, they did the work when the jamb was not square to the door panel (which is square). This has nothing to do with our install, when we installed all the doors we kept the "factory" gap on the hinge side consistent across the top of the door panel and jamb.
- Here is the biggest thing. All this was communicated to them and they opted to not do anything, not even a small refund.
- I will give one star because of the door panels are nice.
The Door Shop Store wants full payment before they will set up a delivery and install time. They wanted to be very sure I wasn't wasting their time and that I was truly interested an more than likely to buy a door from them before they would come out to measure for the door. Ironic, since they wasted my time when they scheduled an appointment to install my door and then canceled because they hadn't received my check the day before the appointment. Since they accept credit cards over the phone, it was inconsiderate that they didn't just ask for the payment over the phone before they scheduled my appointment with someone else. They are reluctant to accept responsibility for wasting my time, but very happy to tell me how very busy and important they are. I do not recommend this business.