history Historic Germantown Presbyterian gets new lease on life meet the staff meet the elders Germantown Presbyterian Church was founded on March 24, 1838. In 1851, the first building, Evans Chapel, was erected. This plain but beautiful, historic clapboard structure served as the congregation's only house of worship for 136 years, surviving the ravages of war and yellow fever as the oldest public building in Germantown. As Germantown and other communities surrounding Memphis, Tennessee have grown, so has Germantown Presbyterian Church. In 1951, the original building was moved a few yards and turned to face east, setting the stage for the addition ten years later of an education facility, with offices and fellowship hall. In 1987, a new sanctuary was constructed in colonial design, and in 1996, the South Building, housing the Germantown Presbyterian Preschool, an Activity Center and classrooms was added. Through the most recent capital campaign contributions, the Germantown Presbyterian family has erased debt remaining from these building programs. We continue to look to the future, by developing a master plan to meet the needs for the church in the generations and years to come. While the buildings and facilities are important, they are merely a backdrop for the activities within. Germantown Presbyterian is a busy congregation, striving to grow its personal relationship with God and to serve the cause of Christ. Germantown Presbyterian Church worships through scripture, prayer, music and fellowship. Christian Education is vital to children, youth and adults of all ages. Church groups, small and large, build faith and relationships in the congregation. Through ministry outreach, God's work is done in Germantown, Memphis and around the world. Opportunities are provided to translate faith into action, from the governing session and diaconate to church committees and programs that offer volunteer and learning opportunities for every member of the congregation. Germantown Presbyterian Church is a warm, welcoming church home where faith is nurtured. You are welcome to join as the congregation grows together. Restoration of Historic Evans Chapel Germantown Presbyterian Church's Evans Chapel is featured in the Memphis Commercial Appeal Newspaper. Click here for a copy of the article about the restoration of Evans Chapel.