Tips & Advice
When does a root canal become necessary?
- If a tooth decays and the nerves or pulp (soft internal tissue which helps teeth develop) become inflamed or infected
- If a tooth is cracked or broken and nerves are exposed
What is the best type of toothpaste?
This generally depends on any specific issues you wish to address with your teeth. There are toothpastes designed to whiten teeth, fight cavities, decrease sensitivity, prevent bad breath, resist gingivitis, and those specific to children (with lower fluoride content). There are also toothpastes that offer “complete” protection by combining aspects of many of the above toothpastes.
How often is a professional dental cleaning necessary?
It’s recommended to get a professional cleaning at least two times per year.
Are there any treatments for sensitive teeth?
- Desensitizing toothpaste numbs the nerves in the teeth that can cause discomfort.
- Mouth guard can protect against grinding teeth during sleep.
- Fluoride treatment can be applied by dentists to sensitive areas to numb teeth and strengthen enamel.
- Root canal can treat problems in a tooth’s core.
- Surgical gum graft where a piece of gum tissue is removed from a section of the mouth to cover an exposed root.
Do I need to have my wisdom teeth extracted?
Not everyone needs to have their wisdom teeth removed, but there are certain signs that can help you and your doctor determine if yours should be:
- Wisdom teeth are pushing other teeth around, causing pain and misalignment
- Cysts form around newly emerged wisdom teeth, causing jaw damage
- Gums get inflamed and swollen, causing cavities and pain
- Doctor determine from x-rays that wisdom teeth will cause problems in the near future
What is sedation dentistry?
This is when medication is used to sedate patients to varying degrees so that a patient remains calm during a dental procedure. The level of sedation and the method by which sedatives are administered are each dependent on the procedure being performed.
How does teeth whitening work?
Teeth whitening treatments use a concentration of hydrogen peroxide to chemically remove the stains from teeth. The higher the hydrogen peroxide content, the more intense the stain-removing power.
How effective are teeth whitening services?
In-office teeth whitening can brighten teeth by up to seven shades from just one hour of treatment. With proper care, whitened teeth can last for years.
What is a dental amalgam filling?
Amalgam is a material used to fill cavities when tooth decay occurs. Amalgam itself is a mixture of tin, silver, copper, and liquid mercury. They also go by the name of “silver fillings” due to their silver appearance once they’ve been placed. These fillings are known for their durability and inexpensive cost.
Due to the low amount of radiation emitted during dental x-rays, there is a slight risk that prolonged exposure can damage cells. But generally, dental x-rays are needed infrequently, so the chances of serious cell damage occurring is low. Dentists also cover the other parts of your body with a lead vest, deflecting radiation.