the room door stuck so badly that someone had to come and slam his shoulder against the door to get it open; it seemed to be a real fire hazard. air conditioning in our assigned rooms did not work and temperature in June was about 105. other people all had their doors and windows open; some had portable fans. several mattresses piled up next to the overflowing dumpster. rooms reeked of cigarette smoke. several rooms had windows covered with cardboard and duct tape or pieces of plywood. toddlers playing on the stairs unsupervised. areas with busted up cement covered by pieces of plywood and with partially exposed pipes. rental staff Sam refused to refund our money even though we had not sat on the bed or used anything in the room. we called the booking company and got a full refund.
118. Howard Johnson
511 N Grand Canyon BlvdWilliams, AZ 86046
From Business: Howard Johnson Express Inn of Williams, Arizona is your premier hotel that offers extreme comfort and great rates. Located on Grand Canyon Road within walking dis…
Clean rooms! Fair rates! Provides centralized lodging for excursions to; Sedona, the Grand Canyon & Skiing (i.e. Snow Bowl)! Courteous staff!
We have nothing but praise to offer the folks here. Somehow I accidentally booked a room on the wrong night and obviously didn't show. The manager worked with me and made sure t g at I was not charged for being a "no show". Their location is right by the freeway and conveniently placed near a lot of restaurants and stores.
Beds lumpy, backaches in the morning, out of breakfast foods bread eggs. When talked to management they weren't to concerned making me think they deal with this every day.
On July 26, 2013 I booked my trip through Booking.com. On Booking.com's website, they show a sparse, but clean room. I have stayed in old motel rooms before but have received a clean room, good service, and safe stay. I arrived in Flagstaff in the middle of a rainstorm. I asked to see the room. There was dust everywhere and a musty, mildew smell permeated the room. I instantly started having an asthma attack. The door did not fit the frame very well, definitely not safe or energy efficient. It was impossible to stay. I should have called Booking.com but I just refused the room thinking that it end the matter. I was wrong. They ended up charging me $69 for a room that would be impossible to use. Booking.com says that it is Traveler's Inn that needs to refund the money and that they control the content that they submit to the site. Traveler's inn says that they will not refund the money. Neither side will help. I am out the money that I should not have to pay for. I just want my money back. Bottom Line: Do not stay, it is very unhealthy. It would need serious renovations just to be considered a dive. I am making a BBB complaint. The photos that you see on travel websites are very misleading. The staff is very rude.
Very clean. Room included telephone, alarm clock, fridge, & microwave. Very affordable. Close to restaurants, gas stations, downtown area