Tips & Advice
In what industries is metal fabrication most commonly used?
Metal fabrication is commonly used in a wide range of industries, including transportation, air handling, food processing, material handling, general fabrication, construction, shipbuilding, aerospace, pharmaceutical manufacturing, and power generation. It's used in the air handling industry to craft many products, such as air conditioning units, heat exchangers, and filtration boxes; and it's used in the food processing industry to create aluminum and stainless steel components with food-grade finishes. In the transportation industry, metal fabrication is used to create items such as aftermarket vehicle modification kits.
What are the most common products produced through metal fabrication?
Metal fabrication is used to make a wide variety of commonly used products, including cutlery, hand tools, metal combs, metal decks, platforms, and handrails; large tanks, boilers, and shipping containers;, such as handles, locks, keys, latches, and chains;, as well as screws, nut, bolts, racks, shelves, hooks, and wire baskets.
Types of metal fabrication
- Cutting uses tools such as saws, lasers, water jets, and plasma torches to cut metal.
- Folding employs a brake press to create creases in metal.
- Machining is where a tool, such as a lathe, is used to strip metal from a piece of material.
- Punching uses a punch and a die to create holes in metal.
- Shearing is the process in which sheet metal is cut into smaller pieces.
- Stamping is when material is punched to create a raised portion.
- Welding is used to fuse two pieces of metal.
What is metal fabrication?
Metal fabrication is where metal is crafted to create structures or machines. The metal is cut using tools, such as band saws, laser cutters, CNC machines, and burn tables. Next, the metal is shaped using tools, such as punches and dies, and the various metal parts that have been created are assembled and welded into a final product. The metal is worth more after processing than it was prior to fabrication.
What is the difference in between welding and metal fabrication?
Metal fabrication is more comprehensive than welding. Welding is when two pieces of a material, such as metal or glass, are permanently fused. Metal fabrication often includes welding, die cutting, finishing, hydroforming, shrinking, stamping, and stretching.
What is a crane used for?
A crane is a machine that is used to lift objects that are heavy and unwieldy. To accomplish this task, cranes are typically equipped with a hoist rope, sheaves, and wire ropes or chains. Various types of cranes are available for various applications. For example, there are cranes that are purpose-built to handle off-road environments, and there are also cranes that are specifically constructed to tackle the rigors of factory duty.
How much does it cost to rent a tower crane?
Tower cranes are often rented on a monthly basis, and the monthly rate for a tower crane that's 150 feet tall can cost roughly $15,000. These cranes can be complicated to assemble and break down, and renters are usually charged fees for these services. Assembly and disassembly fees for tower crane rental can total as much as $60,000.
What is a bare crane rental agreement?
Crane rental can be manned or bare. With manned rental, a crane operator is provided with the rental. A bare crane rental agreement is one in which the rental is unmanned. Only the equipment is rented, and it's up to the renter to obtain the services of a crane operator.
What are the different types of cranes?
Several different types of cranes are used in construction:
- Mobile cranes are the most common, and they use a steel truss that's attached to a mobile platform.
- Telescoping cranes give you the ability to extend or diminish the length of their booms.
- Tower cranes provide the height and lifting capacity necessary to construct skyscrapers.
- Truck-mounted cranes are attached to trucks, and these cranes offer excellent mobility and reach.
- Rough terrain cranes are built for off-road applications.
- Loader cranes are crafted solely for loading equipment into a trailer.
- Overhead cranes are typically used for factory work, and they're capable of lifting very heavy loads.
How much does a crane service cost?
The cost of hiring a crane service will depend on the type of crane being used, and whether the rental includes the services of a crane operator. For a 100-ton hydraulic crane with an operator on board, you can expect to pay roughly $300. A 50- to 60-ton hydraulic crane with an operator on board can cost $200-$230 per hour. For a larger all-terrain crane with a capacity of 300 or 400 tons and an operator on board, you can expect to pay $450 per hour or more. Renting a crane without an operator can cost anywhere from $200-$700 or more per day. Many companies impose a three- or four-hour minimum on clients using their services.