The Grand Aleutian and Unisea Inn is located 800 miles southwest of Anchorage, Alaska, on Unalaska Island, in the heart of Alaska s Aleutian Archipelago in Dutch Harbor. The Inn was built in the late 1970 s on a site that was commissioned in 1942 as the Iliuliuk Submarine Base. The base was part of the World War II build-up that took place during the Aleutian Campaign. As a former outpost for American forces during World War II, the site was declared as a National Historic Landmark in 1985. In 1993, it made history of another sort when its new landmark hotel - the first of its kind in the Aleutian Archipelago - opened its doors to adventure-seeking travelers.