HISTORY OF THE LIBRARY The Columbus Metropolitan Library has been serving residents of Central Ohio for more than 125 years. The Public Library and Reading Room opened in 1873 in the New City Hall and since has expanded to 20 branches and a Main Library. The collection has grown to include 3 million items. But the library is much more than the number of items on the shelf. It is a staff of dedicated librarians who devote themselves to the community's good by helping children learn to read, guiding new Americans to critical resources, directing entrepreneurs to important business information and sharing great reads with the public. Every day our staff make an impact on someone's life, just as they have for 125 years.