I love this app it gives me what I’m looking for and a lot more
I rented here while attending Ohio State University. My location was awesome and the building itself was really nice. It was easy doing business with these guys. Definitely recommend.
My house got broken into back on sept 14, my window was broke. I already had a work order in which already took a few weeks for them to attend to. Once the maintenance guy calls me he advise me he can’t get in my house bc the rental office lost the keys, next day my house was broke into NO FORCE of entry, kitchen window was busted , but the glass was outside the house , investigators confirmed it had to be a inside job. I gave the office my letter advising what code they violated because on top of all this the window that was busted had a piece of wood on it for almost 30 days. I explained the store multiple times n advise them to send my deposit back. It’s been over 30 days i called the offic requesting corporate number they said hey don’t have a corporate office they only have a office manger. I spoken to the office Manger Marissa when i tell u the disrespect was real. I have nothing else to say customer is trash how they overall operate it’s TRASH. I’m not gonna communicate with them any more i will just take this to court period.
Poor customer service and the maintenance is even worse. Tenant complaints and concerns are not a priority. My hallway mailbox was without a lock for no less than six months and was replaced only after i wrote to the BBB. My tub has been clogged and unuseable for 3 days in a row with no repair date in sight. These are 2 unsatisfactory experiences in a long, long list of negatives. I urge the public to not consider living in a home managed by Beacon property Management.
PUT ENTIRE BUILDING IN DANGER WITH GAS LEAK THEY TRIED TO PASS OFF AS A PILOT LIGHT GOING OUT - WITH NO FURTHER INVESTIGATION TO SEE IF THERE WAS AN ACTUAL PROBLEM...WHICH THERE IS.If I could I would give this company a 0 star rating. My son moved his belongings into his apartment on August 5. Right away we noticed a very strong natural gas odor and that the company had left one of the apartment windows open to vent the gas. They also had the hall window by his apartment opened. They obviously knew there was a problem but did not take the time to address this safety hazard. In fact, the employee attempted to convince us that it was nothing more than the "pilot light going out". Today I learned from the gas company that there is not even a pilot light on any of the stoves in the entire building. Long story short, I insisted the gas be shut off on the 5th and the gas pipes to the stove evaluated. North Steppe determined a new stove was in order. Additionally, I was told by them that they had a licensed contractor in prior to my son occupying the unit on August 13 and that everything was "okay". Well, today the gas company was out again and it is definitely NOT okay. There is still a gas leak despite the installation of a new stove. I have left 3 messages-2 for the emergency maintenance guy and 1 for the manager and have yet to hear back from either of them. And to make matters worse, the air conditioning went out last night and the best they can do is tell me that my son's work is "on the schedule". Also, when we were down there on August 5, we determined that neither smoke detector worked. The one near the kitchenette looked to be from the 1950's and when I pointed it out to the maintenance guy who came to shut off the gas, he immediately replaced it. The smoke detector in the bedroom was installed improperly and had to be fixed by maintenance. Who knows how long it's been since there was a working smoke detector in the nasty place.
Do not recommend this place to live for more reasons than this site will allow me to wright. Extremely poor customer service as well as poor and unsafe living environment. Break ins and damage done to property with no security or repercussions. Rules are rarely enforced therefore parking is never available, animal feces is everywhere and trash is often left for wildlife and rodents to get into.
Horrible! I'm currently a renter here patiently waiting for my lease to be up but I'm not sure that I can. We've been here over 4 years and just recently it's become mice infested! We reported it and their answer: glue traps and mouse bait. Doesn't work at all! It's not safe to live in fear of seeing mice. Also, our oven door needed to be replaced so they put on a door that was too big and Everytime I use the oven heat comes out. We needed to have our tub repainted and it took them nearly 2 years! My husband was injured and they wouldn't accommodate him. Our electric plugs are upside down and not even screwed into the walls. We work too hard to come home and be stressed out about our living conditions! Buyer beware!!!
They are very unprofessional...Office staff is extremely rude. Susan one of the apartment managers gossip with the tenants about other tenants. Maintenance come when they feel like it....horrible business. Would have filed a BBB report but they are not BBB accredited.
Hi I recently moved here and being a fellow property manager I see more things than other people look for.. I think the staff at the French Quarters are great.. The office manager and leasing agent are great people. and the maintenance staff is the best I have seen in a while... Thanks for all you do...
My experience has been an absolute nightmare. Half way through my lease and already want to leave, my health and safety feels at risk here. We've experienced; ants in the bathroom and kitchen (in our cabinets trying to get into our food, roaches in our cabinets and floor of our kitchen, harassing neighbors, flooding in our bathroom due to upstairs neighbors not keeping track of their washer, which led to a wall being torn down revealing mold within the walls. Do not take any apartments owned by this company.