On May 2, 1932, Marine Trust Company of Carthage opened for business as a commercial bank at its present location, 500 Wabash Avenue, Carthage, Illinois.
The drive-in was built next to the bank in 1969 and in 1973 the Trust Department was introduced to Carthage.
On April 2, 1991, Marine Trust Company became the fourth bank in the Mercantile Bancorp Holding Company. This relationship has enabled Marine to make larger loans, improve our efficiency by installing the latest in computer and data processing technology, offer a greater variety of products and services, and bring additional expertise to our market area.
Marine Trust Company began offering more and more automated services as the years progressed in their small community. In 1992, the bank installed Carthage's first drive-up ATM, and in 1995 the bank was the first in the community to offer the MasterMoney Debit Card. With the 1996 installation of the Methode Electronic ATM, Marine became the first Carthage bank to have two local ATMs. Marine Trust is the only Carthage financial institution to have a certified financial planner on staff full-time, and now offers full brokerage/financial planning services.
On February 1, 1997, Marine Trust Company introduced their Web site to the community and at the same time announced their partnership with Adams NetWorks, Inc., the area's local Internet Provider. The bank has strived for their web site to not only be a source of information regarding Marine Trust Company, but also help make the Internet easier to use. Ongoing free Internet educational and demonstrative seminars are being offered to the community to help acquaint them with the Internet.