Even though a passport is only necessary for international travel, this document has other benefits. The United States Citizenship website cites that a passport can be used for
- valid photo identification when applying for a loan
- any situation where it's necessary to prove you're a U.S citizen, such as when applying for a job traveling to certain countries without a visa
The United States Postal Service (USPS) website reports that it's possible to submit your passport application at a local post office. You'll need to bring:
- Passport photos, which can be taken at any number of locations
- Application forms
- Documentation that proves your identity, like a driver’s license or birth certificate
- Documentation that proves you're a U.S. citizen, like a social security card
- Any necessary fees
If you're applying for a passport for a child younger than 16, the application must be authorized by both parents or guardians. The easiest way to do this is to make sure both parents or guardians accompany the child when applying. You'll need to have proof of a parental relationship and evidence that confirms the child is a citizen (such as a birth certificate), as well as any necessary fees and a passport photo.
Cruise Ships and passports
If you are traveling by cruise ship out of the United States, and traveling out of one U.S. port and cruising to another (such as sailing out of Miami and cruising to San Diego), everyone, regardless of age, does need a passport. If you don’t have one, you will not be allowed to board the ship.