Edith Diehl started the Brewster Public Library in 1896 with a collection of 500 books at a storefront on Park Street. The present Federal style building donated by Andrew Ferris opened in 1931. The collection now contains over 30,000 items including books, newspapers, magazines, videos, DVDs, books on tape and CD,Music CDs and eBooks. Anyone living or working in the town of Southeast or Village of Brewster may apply for a library card which may be used at all 66 libraries in the Midhudson Library System. As a member of the Midhudson Library System, the Brewster Public Library accepts all borrowers cards issued to the residents of Putnam, Dutchess, Ulster, Greene and Columbia Counties.