The Diocese of Atlanta is comprised of 95 congregations and various ministries in Middle and North Georgia. With some 55, 000 members, we are the ninth largest of the 110 dioceses of Episcopal Church. We are a Christian community blessed with vibrance and variety. Our diocesan bishop is the Rt. Rev. J. Neil Alexander, who was consecrated in July 2001. The Rt. Rev. Keith B. Whitmore has served as assistant bishop since April 2008. The Offices of the Bishop are at the Cathedral of St. Philip in Atlanta, Georgia. We have more than 200 canonically resident clergy, a large number of nonparochial clergy and an abunandant supply of lay ministers. The Diocese of Atlanta was created in 1907 and carved from the Diocese of Georgia. Numerous parishes thrive in our largest metropolitan areas of Atlanta, Columbus and Macon, as well as smaller cities, towns and rural communities in the mountains of North Georgia and the lower elevations of Middle Georgia. The oldest church in the diocese is Christ Church in Macon, which was organized in 1825. The newest parish is St. Benedict's in Smyrna, established in 2008.