O riginally located in the one hundred block of north fifth street, the Arensberg-Pruett Funeral Home was founded in 1868 by J. A. Harouff. Mr. Harouff later constructed the present facilities located one block north at 208 North Fifth Street. The Harouff Funeral Home remained in the Harouff family and later the name was changed to Harouff-Buis Funeral Home with the inclusion of Rose Harouff Buis, the granddaughter of J. A. Harouff after her marriage to Sandy Buis. Following the death of Rose in 1967 the ownership of the firm was assumed by Fred Dyer. On June 14, 1971 the entire funeral home was purchased by William L. (Bill) Arensberg, a native of Atchison and the name was changed to Harouff-Arensberg Funeral Home. Mr. Arensberg continued sole operation of the funeral home until forming a partnership with Galen H. and Sharon M. Pruett in July of 1984. Following the partnership formation the name of the firm became Arensberg-Pruett Funeral Home. Mr. William L. Arensberg, died October 2, 2010. Today the funeral home remains Atchison's oldest funeral establishment firm with continuous operation of serving the Atchison and surrounding communities.