Then, in 1876, Levi Sheffy some of the surviving charter members decided to get the old band rolling again. Now rehearsing in the Rescue Fire Co. building, the band rededicated itself to its original mission of enhancing the cultural and community life of our town. By the turn of the century, the group had moved its rehearsals to the Hippodrome Theatre, which is now the Allen Theatre on East Main Street. While financing the band was always a struggle, with sometimes as little as one dollar remaining in the account, finding opportunities to participate in town life was not. During the Golden Age of Bands, our band enjoyed possibly the height of its popularity. The members traveled by horse and buggy to play for church picnics, and marched in torchlight parades at election time. Popularity brought success, and finally, in the 1920's band purchased an implement shop from Saylor's Carriage Works, at 35 N. Lancaster St. The shop was converted into a fine rehearsal hall, giving the band its first permanent home. From this secure base of operations, the band continued to be a part of community life. The old timers fondly recall traveling in trucks to the far away jobs, like Bern Church in Berks County in 1924. But, probably the performances that everyone loved most, and felt the happiest to do, were the nightly parades to celebrate the end of World War II. Those hey days of bands are gone. However, the Washington Band has stayed active, even though times and community life have changed tremendously. For instance, the Band first played for the Rocherty Sunday School picnic in 1919, and will play again this coming summer. Financially, the Band has experienced a major transformation. From after the repeal of Prohibition until June, 1992, the Band was supported by its bar and social club. For reasons of social responsibility as well as economic necessity, the Band decided to close the club and adopt a totally nonprofit status. Accordingly, we now rely on patron donations, concert renumerations and the guidance of our dedicated treasurer, John Martin for our continued existence. Many small community bands like ours have folded, primarily from a lack of financial support. However, the Washington Band of Annville has been here for more than 150 years, making us the second oldest band of its kind in Pennsylvania! With the help and support of our community, we hope to be playing for many years to come.