Established in 1869, Allentown's Bureau of Water Resources is governed by the Department Of Public Works of the city of Allentown, Pa. The division serves more than 34,000 customers within the city, as well as Salisbury Township and portions of South Whitehall and Hanover, Pa. The bureau offers a wide range of services, such as water treatment and distribution, sewage collection and treatment, and storm water management. It employs more than 20 water filtration employees and over 45 water distribution employees. Additionally, Allentown's Bureau of Water Resources owns and operates a 30 million-gallon-per-day water treatment plant that includes coagulation, flocculation, lamella plate clarification and dual-media, high-rate filtration for surface water. The bureau s water filtration department provides supply of safe and pure drinking water, in accordance with regulatory requirements and utilizing recognized operational, maintenance and laboratory procedures.