"The Mission of Akron First United Methodist Church is to transform the world by reaching, teaching, and preaching. " Even before the Town of Newstead and the Village of Akron existed, our church was established in 1807 in the home of Charles Knight. The twelve member group was the first Methodist church west of the Genesee River, thus earning the title "The Cradle of Western New York Methodism." A passion to share God's love and grace is found throughout our congregation's history. Revivals brought more and more persons to the redeeming news of Jesus Christ. Over the years our congregations continued to steadily grow. By 1837 the Village of Akron was organized and that original Methodist group made plans to build a church. In 1840, a new stone church was built on the present site where our church now stands overlooking beautiful Russell Park. Several renovations and remodeling projects accommodated the growing ministry needs of the congregation and the Akron community. In 1942, a devastating fire reduced the church to its original stone walls. Within two years, the congregation raised $60, 000 to rebuild the church, and by 1947 dedicated a new organ which was originally located in the Larkin Building in Buffalo.