DO NOT RENT FROM PEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!
Our entire rental experience with them has been a nightmare. Starting with moving in, they told us we could have the house on a Friday and told us we were able to have all utilities changed over. WRONG, my husband and I had to stay in a hotel because we had no running water and could not get anyone to return our calls regarding the matter. They never fix any maintenance issues and if they do, they just put a bandaid on the problem. Our fan in the master was sparking bc of faulty wiring, all of our lightswitches are backwards, the dryer trips the breaker if other lights are on, our back porch light did not work, neither did the hall light. There was no move in check list provided and plenty of damage and signs of use from the previous tenants. They create problems with billing and try to tell you that you are rude when you bring the issue up. They do and don't remember parts of conversations when convenient for them. My husband and I have resorted to fixing small problems ourselves however, our back door and sink have leaked since the day we moved in. They pretend like they're professional however, treat their customers like second class citizens and do not care at all about their tenants. They lie all the time about what they can and cannot do and do not know their own policies. Marvin Peavy, the owner, frequently does not reimburse employees for work done and does not follow the contract when returning deposits. Also he hikes fees for cleaning services and deducts more out of the security deposit than actually necessary. Avoid the headache and choose a different landlord!