Posted: 7/15/2011Provided by Citysearch -
1. Dragon Seed is quite possibly the most affordable store for wedding gowns in San Francisco. And they have a good selection too.
2. Alterations are included with price of dresses!
3. Conveniently located.
4. Some veils are free for rent with purchase of dress.
5. Henriette and the other sales ladies are very nice.
6. There always seems to be a sale on the wedding gowns. It's never the price on the tag.
7. They also have a beautiful selection of ball gowns and Chinese dresses (cheongsams I think?) I won't be getting those but based on the reviews here, it seems that they are overpriced
1. Thomas, Henriette's husband, is a very loud and aggressive salesman.
2. My sister gave them a bridal dress to be altered a month ago. Since it wasn't from their store, they charge $100 for alterations, which isn't bad compared to other places in SF. They told her it would be ready the first week of July. But when she went to pick it up, they told her they forgot to give it to the seamstress and that it won't be ready until the end of July. This is the main reason I knocked off a star because that is a big deal. If the wedding was any sooner, it would have been a major problem.
3. I'm not big at all but I'm really curvy. They only have bras for A or B cup sizes because most of their clients are Asian.
4. Wedding shoes are expensive and they do not have a big selection of shoes in the store. They would have to order them.
5. The dressing rooms are very small.
6. Some of the dresses and wedding gowns especially are very old fashioned and dated.
All in all I probably would give it 3.8 stars for wedding dresses only. I'm not buying any other type of dress so I can't base my review on that. It may go up or down half a star after I see how my dress looks and feels after the alterations are done by the end of the month. I know some people complained about the way the salespeople pressure you here. It doesn't really bother me that much because I'm used to Chinatown I guess. I grew up with it. It's just how their selling style is. I'm sure they have good intentions. They have been in business for a long time. The ladies are actually nice and soft spoken. I know most of the clients are Asian so I was surprised that they said they can alter my dress to be bigger in the bust and hips area. My dress was originally priced at $480. The sale was 30% off so it was $336 plus tax. The total was $364, including alterations and I can rent a veil for free a couple days before the wedding. You really can't beat that. I just have to wait and see how my dress will look and fit when it's ready. This is my ""preliminary"" review.