There is no doubt in my mind why the sign on this zoo says world famous. This Zoo is amazing! Going as a child I could not wait to take my own family and it did not disappoint.
San Diego Zoo
Summer Hours (2015/05/23 - 2015/05/25)Mon8:00 am - 6:00 pmSat - Sun8:00 am - 6:00 pm
- General Info:
- The San Diego Zoo is located in Balboa Park and has over 3,700 animals of more than 650 species. It is privately operated by the nonprofit Zoological Society of San Diego. Open every day of the year, including all holidays. Tickets: One Day Pass $48 Adult (12 and up), $38 Child (3-11), One Day Pass Plus includes one visit to San Diego Zoo and choice of one 4-D Theater Show $53 Adult (12 and up), $ 43 Child (3-11), Multi-Day/Multi-Park Tickets are available. Members enjoy a full year of FREE unlimited Admission to both Sand Diego Zoo and Safari Park.
- Extra Phones:
Phone: (619) 231-1515
Event Planning: (619) 685-3259
- Animals by Zone: Africa Rocks, Asian Passage, Australian Outback, Discovery Outpost, Elephant Odyssey, Lost Forest, Northern Frontier, Outback, Panda Canyon, Urban Jungle. San Diego Zoo has Paid Tours: Early Morning Panda Tours and Breakfast with Koalas, Discovery Cart Tour, Sunrise Surprise Strolls, Inside Look Tours, Guided Bus Tour and 4-D Theaters. Zoo Education with Summer Camps, Adventures in Art Camp, Little Artists Camp, Summer Cub Camp, KinderNights, KinderTots, Wildlife Sleepovers, Photo Workshop and Teen Programs.
- Payment method:
- amex, discover, visa, mastercard, cash, debit
- Parking is free. Food/Dining Places: A Restaurant in a Treehouse, Poppy's Patio, Sabertooth Grill, Zoo Brew, Treetops Cafe, San Diego Zoo Sandwich Co. and more. Gift Shops and General Store sell snacks, sundries, themed gifts and souvenirs. Giftshop Ituri Forest Outpost has fun and unusual items with an African theme, Sydney's Shoppe sells exclusive koala and friends-themed gifts and souvenirs. The San Diego Zoo provides special parking, restrooms for guests with disabilities. Strollers, lockers, bag-check, wheelchairs, and motorized wheelchairs are available for rent. Catering, Special Events and Wedding Services Available.
- San Diego Zoo Global WildLife Conservancy.
- Zoos, Wedding Reception Locations & Services, Banquet Halls & Reception Facilities, Amusement Places & Arcades, Tourist Information & Attractions, Botanical Gardens, Places Of Interest, Petting Zoos
- Other Information:
Specialties: Wildlife, Hawaii, Australia / Oceania, Overseas, Foreign, Recreation, Safaris, Seminars, Worldwide, Pacific, Nature / Adventure, Polynesia, International, New Zealand
What an amazing zoo! It is gigantic and has every animal imaginable. Go in the spring to see lots of baby animals.
04/22/2011Provided by Citysearch -
WOW!! I've only been here once or twice because it's so expensive but the price is totally worth it and you can tell the difference when compared to other zoos.
I'm originally from St. Louis where we have a free zoo so I was surprised when I moved to San Diego that the zoo was so pricey, but the difference is profound. The animals are so healthy and active whereas in St. Louis they hide most of the time or are sleeping. They feed the animals more naturally here by having them search for their food instead of giving them a bowl full. The enclosure quality is gorgeous as well as the entire park's landscaping. It's just an amazing place to be and definitely well worth paying the extra money for.
I do suggest getting there very early because dowtown San Diego is not fun to drive in (sudden change from three lanes to one lane!!). And try to find off-street parking (save the parking money for admission), Balboa Park is beautiful to walk in anyway so you might want to walk anyway.
06/15/2010Provided by Citysearch -
San Diego zoo is a really nice zoo, but I grew up my whole life believing this was going to be a holy grail of zoo experiences.
I really loved that there's no smoking anywhere in the zoo and the layout and landscaping are wonderful, but I think the reason for this zoo's over-inflated reputation is down to the fact that it's one of the best zoos in the USA and there's LOTS of Americans to sing its praises, most of whom have never experienced some of the world's great zoos.
I found this to be bigger than, but not better than the zoo in my home town of Perth Western Australia. More animals and features, but weaker on the habitats and overall vibe.
The San Diego Zoo has the most amazing selection of animals, rare plants, and activities of any zoo I have been to. Not only do they have a world renowned preservation and recovery for their animals but they also have an incredible reputation for rehabilitating abused animals. I love this zoo.