McNay Art Museum
- General Info:
- The first museum of modern art in Texas. General Admission * McNay Members FREE * Children 12 and under FREE * Adults $10 * Students w/ID 13+ $5 * Seniors 65+ $5 * Active Military $5
- Payment method:
- mastercard, all major credit cards, visa, debit, discover, amex
- 5 miles from downtown San Antonio, TX.
- Alamo Heights, Uptown Broadway
- * Picnics available * Student Tours * Adult Tours * Self-Guided Tours * Facility Rentals * Internships * Membership
- Museums, Art Museums, Art Galleries, Dealers & Consultants
- Other Information:
Parking: On Site, Free
Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
Great attraction if you want to have your car vandalized while you are looking at art. While visiting this museum, two vehicles were broken into (one of them mine) and nobody notifies you that your car window has been busted out. They actually wait until you are in the parking lot and let you see the damage before contacting authorities. The parking security knew of the incidents for over 30 minutes without informing anybody in the museum. The staff is of no help at all and gave different accounts of how many times incidents such as this have happened. One employee claims it never has happened, others say it happens every once in a while, and the head supervisor claimed that this has happened several times since he has been employed there. Bottom line, not enough security, the staff will do the bare minimum to help you if you are a victim on their premises, and this visit may cost you more than you expected. Cost of admission: $23 for admission, $215 for a new car window, and the horrible feeling of being violated. I highly do not recommend this attraction.
Posted: 8/8/2002Provided by Citysearch -
My favorite thing about the McNay is that a visit is a full experience, not just a trip to a museum. You enter the grounds through beautiful gardens, filled with modern sculptures and fountains. Most of the art work is housed inside the hacienda-style house, and the beauty of the ambient architecture adds to your appreciation of the many modern masters hanging on the wall. The curators do a good job of rotating shows and finding the tours which reflect the spirit of the permanent collection and/or of San Antonio itself. Even if you're not normally a museum-goer, the McNay's lazy elegance can still draw you in.