When the National Automobile Museum (The Harrah Collection) opened in 1989, it was reported to have set the standard for the world of automobile museums with its dramatic displays, in-depth interpretation, extensive collection and exciting opportunities for visitor participation.
The Museum displays more than 200 cars from 1892 to present, the majority of which are from the world famous collection of the late gaming pioneer and avid collector, Bill Harrah.
The idea for the Museum developed after Mr. Harrah?s death in 1978. Holiday Corporation purchased in Harrah?s Hotels/Casinos and world-renowned Harrah?s Automobile Collection in 1980. Following an announcement by Holiday Corporation of its intent to sell Harrah?s Automobile Collection, there was a tremendous public outcry from the citizens of Nevada to save the collection.
In 1981, in response to this outcry, Nevada Governor Robert List helped form a private nonprofit 501(c) 3 corporation. Holi day Corporation donated 175 cars and the research library, among other artifacts. At the time, this was the largest corporate philanthropic gift in our nation?s history.
Thanks to the generosity of many, the land and construction of the Museum were funded by public and private contributions, most notably from the City of Reno Redevelopment Agency, a State of Nevada legislative appropriation and philanthropic individuals.
Located along the banks of the Truckee River in downtown Reno.